This year has been really special for me. After so many years, my mother travelled all the way from Bangalore to stay with me for a couple of months. She is old and weak and I am awed by her mental strength and determination to travel at this age. We get so much time to chit chat about little things and enjoy a hearty meal together.
I must say that it delights me a lot that I got a chance to make all the healthy and tasty dishes for my mother. My mother is also a diabetic and my dishes worked like magic on her. She is completely moved and impressed with the food I serve her. Out of all the dishes I made, she loved peas parantha the best. She in fact wrote a short, sweet poem and presented it to me. I am deeply touched by her gesture.
This post is dedicated to my mother, Mrs. Savitri. In this post you should find the poem my mother wrote to me and the recipe for peas parantha. Enjoy the poem and of course my peas parantha🙂
My Mother’s Poem to Me
Cherish and Relish – By Mrs. Savitri
Ideal wife, loving mother, sincere daughter, dutiful to inlaws is none but Sharadha who should shine
Sharadha, the lovely angel of the magnificient Shrine
Is the sweetest and the softest bird so very fine
Flies from morn till eve for everyone to dine
The dishes she makes out of many a grains
Sprout no doubt is really cute.
Speciality of the same is immensely tasty to eat.
Marvellous and delicious eatables are prepared
Extra ordinary taste is overspread
Oh, Mother do bless her too
For the best of luck in this sport.
My Mother’s Favourite Dish : Peas parantha
Ingredients for filling
- One cup of green peas
- One medium sized onion(finely chopped)
- One tsp ginger garlic paste
- One tsp red chilli powder
- One tsp jeera powder
- One tsp fennel seeds
- One tsp cooking oil
- Few coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for making dough
- One cup of whole wheat atta
- Quarter cup of oats flour
- Salt to taste
- Enough water for kneading
Method for making the filling
- Boil peas with enough water and salt.
- Allow it to cool and grind it in the mixer.
- In a frying pan, put one tsp oil.
- Add fennel seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add jeera powder and red chilli powder and fry for a while.
- Add the ground peas and salt(if required) and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well.
- Now the filling is ready.
Method for making the dough
- In a large bowl, mix atta, oats flour, salt.
- Knead well with hand by adding enough water.
- Knead well by applying little oil in the hand till it becomes a soft dough.
- Let it remain for one hour.
Method for making parantha
- Take a lemon sized portion of the dough and make it round shape using rolling pin.
- Place one portion of the stuffing in the middle and fold all the edges towards centre tightly.
- Dust with dry flour using rolling pin, again make the parantha into big round shape.
- Heat non stick tawa and place the parantha andpour oil around it
- Cook parantha on both sides till it turns golden brown.
- Serve hot with any gravy sabji or raitha