April 26, 2009
Lassi is a perfect drink to beat the summer heat in India. Plain lassi is made of yoghurt and sugar. I tried using dried figs, low fat curd and sugar free powder to make a healthy drink.
Here are a few nutritional facts about Fig.
Figs are good to eat and rich in fiber. The type of fiber in figs reduce the risk of developing adult onset diabetes. The polyphenols in dried figs offer a protective effect against heart disease and cancer.
Figs are effective when it comes to solving weight gain problems. Figs also protect your heart, lower cholesterol, combat cancer and control blood pressure.
- One cup of low fat curd
- Four dried figs
- One tsp sugar free powder
- 3 or 4 ice cubes
- Cut two dried figs into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Soak two dried figs in water for half an hour.
- In a mixer, grind the soaked figs into fine paste.
- Add low fat curd, sugar free powder and enough water.
- Blend it into smooth mixture.
- Add ice cubes.
- Pour the mixture in a glass and serve chilled with fig pieces on the top.
April 15, 2009
I tried making curry using chickpeas and brinjal and it came out really well. Chickpeas are highly nutritious and have maximum of 25% protein. Chickpeas have low glycemic index values and therefore suit well for diabetics and people who want to overcome weight gain problems.
So here is the recipe:
- 250 gms of violet brinjal
- 100 gms of white chickpeas (Kabuli channa)
- One medium sized onion
- One tomato
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp daniya powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt as required
- 1 tsp oil
- Few coriander leaves
- Wash and soak kabuli channa over night.
- Put channa in a pressure cooker with enough salt and water and cook till it becomes soft.
- Cut brinjal and onion into thin strips.
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces.
- In a non stick frying pan, put one tsp oil.
- Add jeera and let it splutter.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add chopped brinjal, turmeric powder, asafoetida and enough salt.
- Fry till the brinjal gets cooked.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are well blended with brinjal.
- Add red chilli powder and daniya powder and fry for a while.
- Add the cooked channa and fry till it gets mixed with brinjal.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with phulka rotis.