Are you a parent of a diabetic kid losing your night’s sleep thinking how to keep your kid’s sugar levels under control? Are you constantly thinking of ways to divert your kid’s attention from ice creams, chocolates and pizzas. Are you trying to get your kid used to sugarless milk and those sad looking sugarless chocolates?
Well, you sure are doing the right thing. But did you realize you are making the kid feel not normal? Did you think what impact this will have on your kid?
Just stop worrying and make your kid feel normal , just like any other kid by giving the same dishes that any other kid loves to have , yet using those ingredients that would suit your diabetic kid.
Make sure the food that you serve your diabetic kid looks rich, delicious and normal just like any other food.
So my pick for diabetic kids is this low calorie, sugar free Shrikhand. Believe me it tastes just like the real creamy shrikhand.
And I write this recipe in response to Sanjana Nayak’s request asking me to post recipes specially for diabetic kids.
In this recipe I have used diet curd (1.7% fat), sugar free powder and small quantity of healthy nuts that is going to be perfect for your diabetic kid.
Hope your kid enjoys this recipe.
- 400 gms of yoghurt (diet curd -1.7% fat)
- 2 tsps saffron strands
- 3to 4 tsps sugar free powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 table spoons nuts ( almonds, pista and cashew)
- Soak saffron strands in 2 tsp milk.
- Place the yoghurt in a muslin cloth, tie it well and hang it in a clean shadow place.
- Let it remain for 4 to 5 hours so that the excess water drain out, till a thick residue is left behind.
- Remove the yoghurt residue from the cloth and check whether all the water has drained out.
- In a mixing bowl, add the yoghurt and whisk it with a ladle to break lumps if any.
- Add sugar free powder, cardamom powder, soaked saffron strands and grated nuts to the strained yoghurt.
- Mix well using ladle.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set. Don’t put it in the freezer.
- While serving, garnish with some more saffron and grated nuts.
- Serve chilled with rotis.
Please do write to me about what you think about this recipe and please look forward to more such recipes for diabetic kids 🙂