I tried making curry using chickpeas and brinjal and it came out really well. Chickpeas are highly nutritious and have maximum of 25% protein. Chickpeas have low glycemic index values and therefore suit well for diabetics and people who want to overcome weight gain problems.
So here is the recipe:
- 250 gms of violet brinjal
- 100 gms of white chickpeas (Kabuli channa)
- One medium sized onion
- One tomato
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp daniya powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt as required
- 1 tsp oil
- Few coriander leaves
- Wash and soak kabuli channa over night.
- Put channa in a pressure cooker with enough salt and water and cook till it becomes soft.
- Cut brinjal and onion into thin strips.
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces.
- In a non stick frying pan, put one tsp oil.
- Add jeera and let it splutter.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add chopped brinjal, turmeric powder, asafoetida and enough salt.
- Fry till the brinjal gets cooked.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are well blended with brinjal.
- Add red chilli powder and daniya powder and fry for a while.
- Add the cooked channa and fry till it gets mixed with brinjal.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with phulka rotis.