Kootu is a tamil dish common in both Tamil Nadu and South India. It is a combination of vegetable and dal and is semi solid in form. Rice with Kootu is a common and simple Tamil meal. In Tamil cuisine, Kootu is considered to be a good substitute for both Sambar and curry.
I prepared this bottle gourd kootu avoiding coconut and masala specially for diabetic patients. It is very simple and easy to make. I used yellow moong dal to go with the vegetable. It turned out to be very delicious not as hot as sambar, but very fragrant and tasty.
Both my daughter and her friends relished this dish.
Here is the recipe for you.
- One medium sized bottle gourd
- One Onion
- 3 or 4 green chillies
- One cup of split yellow moong dal
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- One cup of toned milk (Boiled)
- One tsp ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Jeera
- Few curry leaves
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Peel and cut the bottle gourd in to cubes.
- Chop onion into small pieces.
- Slit green chillies.
- In a frying pan fry moong dal till the smell comes ( It should not turn red).
- Cook bottle gourd, onion, green chillies, yellow moong dal, salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida in a pressure cooker with enough water ( Allow the whistle to come and sim it for 5 minutes).
- Add milk to the contents in the cooker and boil for 2 minutes.
- Heat ghee and season mustard, jeera and curry leaves.
- Pour it on cooked bottle gourd mixture.
- Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Note: For Seasoning instead of mustard and jeera Panch Phoran can be used to enhance the flavour.
As I have already mentioned in my previous recipe, Panch phoran is a mixture of five spices: mustard, jeera, fennel seeds, methi and kala jeera mixed in equal quantity,
Some Quick Tips
While cooking the vegetable and dal in a pressure cooker, allow the whistle to come and sim it for 5 minutes. If you keep more than 5 minutes the vegetable and dal will get smashed and the dish will not be tasty.
Even you can use snake gourd, cucumber, ChowChow for making this recipe.