July 8, 2009
- One small bunch of mint leaves
- One green chilli
- One tsp ghee
- One cup of whole wheat atta
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil for making chappathi
Method for making the dough
- Wash mint leaves well and cut into small pieces.
- Grind green chilli into fine paste.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix atta, green chilli paste, one tsp ghee, chopped mint leaves and enough salt.
- Knead it with hand by adding water.
- Knead well till it becomes a soft pliable dough.
- Let it remain for one hour.
Method for making chappathi
- Take a lemon sized portion of the dough and roll out a nice, round shape with a rolling pin.
- Pour some oil around it and cook on both the sides till it turns golden brown.
- Serve hot with spicy dal, or any gravy sabji.
May 15, 2009
It is summer time and you need something really refreshing to beat the heat. In case you are a diabetic, I am sure you want a drink that is not only refreshing but very healthy too.
Barley with lime is an excellent combination and makes for a healthy summer drink.
Did you know that barley is a good choice for type 2 diabetes ?
Well yes, barley contains essential vitamins, minerals and is an excellent source of dietary fiber, particularly beta-glucan soluble fiber. It reduces cholesterol and so it also works very well for people on diet.
So make sure you include barley in your diet every now and then.
Ingredients (Serves one)
- One table spoon of barley
- One tsp lemon juice
- One drop of lemon essence (optional)
- One tsp sugar free powder
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed powder
- Boil barley with enough water for 15 minutes.
- Allow it to cool.
- Drain the barley water by passing through sieve.
- Add lemon juice, lemon essence, sugar free powder and fennel seed powder.
- Stir well.
- Serve chilled.
April 26, 2009
Lassi is a perfect drink to beat the summer heat in India. Plain lassi is made of yoghurt and sugar. I tried using dried figs, low fat curd and sugar free powder to make a healthy drink.
Here are a few nutritional facts about Fig.
Figs are good to eat and rich in fiber. The type of fiber in figs reduce the risk of developing adult onset diabetes. The polyphenols in dried figs offer a protective effect against heart disease and cancer.
Figs are effective when it comes to solving weight gain problems. Figs also protect your heart, lower cholesterol, combat cancer and control blood pressure.
- One cup of low fat curd
- Four dried figs
- One tsp sugar free powder
- 3 or 4 ice cubes
- Cut two dried figs into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Soak two dried figs in water for half an hour.
- In a mixer, grind the soaked figs into fine paste.
- Add low fat curd, sugar free powder and enough water.
- Blend it into smooth mixture.
- Add ice cubes.
- Pour the mixture in a glass and serve chilled with fig pieces on the top.
April 15, 2009
I tried making curry using chickpeas and brinjal and it came out really well. Chickpeas are highly nutritious and have maximum of 25% protein. Chickpeas have low glycemic index values and therefore suit well for diabetics and people who want to overcome weight gain problems.
So here is the recipe:
- 250 gms of violet brinjal
- 100 gms of white chickpeas (Kabuli channa)
- One medium sized onion
- One tomato
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp daniya powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt as required
- 1 tsp oil
- Few coriander leaves
- Wash and soak kabuli channa over night.
- Put channa in a pressure cooker with enough salt and water and cook till it becomes soft.
- Cut brinjal and onion into thin strips.
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces.
- In a non stick frying pan, put one tsp oil.
- Add jeera and let it splutter.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add chopped brinjal, turmeric powder, asafoetida and enough salt.
- Fry till the brinjal gets cooked.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are well blended with brinjal.
- Add red chilli powder and daniya powder and fry for a while.
- Add the cooked channa and fry till it gets mixed with brinjal.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with phulka rotis.