Olan is the most popular dish in Kerala cuisine. It goes well with both rotis and rice. The process of making this dish is very simple. It is easily digestible as it contains less oil and no spice.
I have prepared this recipe avoiding coconut milk and yellow pumpkin.
Here comes the recipe
- One cup of cow peas
- 100 gms of ash gourd
- One chow chow (chayote squash)
- Two green chillies
- One tsp cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- One cup of toned milk
- One tsp corn flour
- Few curry leaves
- Salt as required
- Soak cow peas overnight and pressure cook the cow peas with enough salt and water.
- Cut ash gourd and chow chow into squares.
- Slit green chillies.
- In a Kadai, cook ash gourd, chow chow green chillies with enough salt, turmeric powder, hing and water till the vegetables get completely cooked.
- Add the cooked cow peas and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix corn flour with milk and add to the cooked vegetables.
- Pour hot oil tempered with curry leaves to the cooked vegetables.
- Serve hot with rotis.