Last week my American neighbour, got me quinoa and suggested that I make some dish using this. I googled a lot for quinoa and found interesting information and recipes on the web.
I got to know that Quinoa is rich in protein and complex carbohydrates, low in fat, rich in vitamins and minerals than any other grain. It is highly nutritious and can supply us with all of the body requirements.
I wanted to cook Quinoa in such a way that it would suit our palate. So what I did was I cooked Quinoa just as I cook rice, added a combination of vegetables and tossed it with olive oil, salt, pepper and soya sauce.
Before I give you the recipe, here is a short note on how to cook Quinoa.
How to cook Quinoa
In a bowl, soak Quinoa for 15 minutes. If you dont have time for soaking, soak in a hot water for 5 minutes. Rinse Quinoa two or three times, until the rinse water is clear.
For one cup of Quinoa, add 2 cups of water. Pressure cook the Quinoa just you make rice.Allow the whistle to come and sim it for 10 minutes. Fluff gently with a flat spoon so that it wont stick together.
Now comes the recipe for you.
- One cup of Quinoa
- One finely chopped onion
- One finely chopped capsicum
- One small cup of broccoli florets
- One piece of shredded purple cabbage
- One chopped carrot
- 6or 7 chopped beans
- One small cup of peas
- One slit green chilli
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 11/2 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- In a pressure cooker cook quinoa with enough water.
- Remove the weight after the pressure gets released.
- Fluff gently with a flat spoon and keep it aside.
- Cook vegetables like carrot, beans, peas and broccoli with enough salt and water till it gets half cooked.
- In a frying pan, heat oil.
- Add chopped onion and green chilli and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, capsicum and fry in a high flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and continue stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add soya sauce, salt and pepper powder.
- Add the cooked quinoa and mix well.
- Serve hot with any spicy vegetable side dish.