Red rice is something that I have got introduced to recently. Thanks to my English neighbour for introducing me to this wonderful organic food.
Red rice has a nice nutty flavour, is soft in texture and is especially very good for your health. I say it is very good for your health because it is full of vitamin B and is grown without pesticides and herbicides. Moreover it helps in reducing cholestrol and high blood sugar levels.
However unlike ordinary rice, It takes more time to cook. Regardless of this long cooking time, I make this organic food once a week for my husband who is a diabetic. At last he can have some kind of rice 🙂
Here comes the recipe
- One cup of red rice
- One cup of mixed vegetables(carrot, Beans, cabbage, peas,capsicum)
- Half cup of green gram sprout
- One green chilli
- One medium sized onion
- 3 flakes of Garlic
- Few parsley
- Few celery leaves(cut the stem into small pieces)
- 11/2 tsp olive oil
- One clove
- A small piece of cinnamon
- One cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Saunf
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- Salt as required
- Powder all the spices.
- Peel off the skin from the garlic and cut into small pieces.
- Slit green chilli.
- In a pressure cooker cook rice(1cup) with 2 cups of water.
- Pressure cook the rice without weight for 45 minutes.
- Boil sprouted green gram, beans, carrot and Peas with enough salt till it becomes half cooked.
- In a heavy bottomed pan put 11/2 tsp oil.
- Add the spices.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and green chilli and fry for a while.
- Add the cabbage,celery leaves and capsicum and cook in a high flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and fry for a while.
- Add the cooked rice and salt and mix well.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot with raitha.