Tamarind is an indispensable ingredient in South Indian cuisine. I make it a point to use tamarind in most of my dishes and I am very happy to participate in this event this month as tamarind is my favourite ingredient.
- 100gms of small onion
- A lime sized tamarind
- One green chilli
- Few curry leaves
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida(Hing)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp channa dal
- 11/2 tsp cooking oil
For dry roast
- One tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 red chillies
- In a Kadai, fry sesame seeds, fenugreek seeds and red chillies without oil till it becomes red.
- Allow it to cool and grind it in the mixer coarsely.
- Peel off the skin from the onion.
- Cut green chilli into fine pieces.
- In a frying pan put oil.
- Add Mustard, urad dal and channa dal. Let it splutter.
- Add onion, green chilli, curry leaves, hing and turmeric powder.
- Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add tamarind extract and salt.
- Cook till the raw smell of tamarind disappears.
- Add the ground powder and boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with kichidi, upma and rotis.