- One bunch of Mulai Keerai ( Amaranth Leaves)
- One onion
- One tomato
- 3 or 4 garlic flakes
- One green chilli
- One tsp pepper jeera powder
- One cup of yellow moong dal
- 1/2 tsp hing ( asafoetida)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- One tsp mustard
- One tsp urad dal
- One red chilli
- 11/2 tsp cooking oil
- Wash the keerai well to remove mud completely.
- Remove the stalk if it is not tender.
- Chop the leaves finely.
- Chop onion and tomato into fine pieces.
- Peel off the skin from the garlic.
- Make green chilli into fine paste.
- Pressure cook moong dal with enough water and keep it aside.
- In a Kadai cook keerai with enough salt, turmeric powder, hing and enough water.
- Mash the cooked leaves with a masher.
- Add cooked moong dal to the mashed leaves.
- In a frying pan put one and half tsp oil.
- Add mustard, urad dal and red chilli. Let it splutter.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and fry till the onion becomes soft.
- Add chopped tomato and fry till it gets cooked.
- Add green chilli paste and fry for a while.
- Add the cooked keerai and dal and pepper jeera powder.
- Add enough water and salt (if needed).
- Boil for 5 minutes till everything gets completely mixed.
- Serve hot with rotis or wheat rava kichidi.