Ivy gourd/Tindora or Kovakkai (Tamil equivalent) is a green vegetable used in Indian cooking.Tindora is usually deep fried or stuffed with masala and boiled it in a cooker. This way it is very tasty.
Tindora is an ideal vegetable to be recommended for diabetics due to its low glycemic index and its possible ability to help regular blood glucose. This vegetable is also rich in beta – carotene.
This dish here goes well with hot rotis. Indeed it is very easy to make and tastes yummy.
- 300 gms of Tindora
- One medium sized onion(Finely chopped)
- Two tomatoes( cut into 4 pieces)
- 4or 5 flakes of garlic
- Half bunch of coriander leaves
- 2 or 3 Red chillies
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 1/2 tsp daniya powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 11/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as required
- One small piece of cinnamon
- One clove
- Cut Tindora into round shape.
- Cook Tindora in a microwave oven with salt, turmeric powder and little oil.
- Grind half onion, tomatoes, garlic, jeera, red chillies and coriander leaves into fine paste.
- In a frying pan add 1 tsp oil.
- Add cinnamon and clove and fry for a while.
- Add chopped opnion and one green chilli and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add the ground masala and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add daniya powder and garam masala powder and fry till the smell comes.
- Add the cooked Tindora, Salt( if needed ) and fry till it gets mixed with masala.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Phulka.