Palak/Spinach contains minerals like calcium, iron, potassium and sodium which are very essential for the body resistence and haemoglobin production. If you are someone who is diabetic or someone who is on diet, then you must include palak quite often in your meal.
Now that it is summer everyone must take saag or spinach for the coolant effect it gives to your body.
In this recipe I use palak or spinach for making the gravy and sprouted green gram for making Koftas.
This dish turned out very well for me. Both my children and husband relished this dish.
Here is the recipe for you:
Ingredients for making Kofta
- One cup of sprouted green gram
- half onion (Chopped)
- 100 gms of Tofu Panner
- One tsp Red chilli powder
- One tsp Jeera powder
- Salt to taste
- Bread crumbs for coating
- Enough oil for frying
Ingredients for making gravy
- One bunch of palak leaves
- One onion
- One tomato
- One small piece of ginger
- 3 or 4 flakes of Garlic
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp daniya powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Little kasuri methi
- Salt to taste
- One tsp cooking oil
- One clove
- One cinnamon
- One cardamom
Method for making sprouted green gram Kofta
- Grind green gram Sprouts without adding water.
- Mix grated Panner, chopped onion, chilli powder, jeera powder, ground sprouts and salt in a bowl and make a thich dough.
- Make oval shaped koftas.
- Coat the Koftas using bread crumbs and keep it aside.
- In a Kadai Heat oil and deep fry the Koftas till they turn brown and crispy.
Now the Kofta is ready.
Method for making gravy
- Cook Palak leaves with enough water in a pan.
- Allow it to cool and make paste using mixer.
- Make onion paste and tomato paste.
- Grind ginger, garlic and green chillies into fine paste.
- In a frying pan put 1 tsp oil.
- Add cinnamon, clove and cardamom and fry for a while.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add the onion paste and fry till it turns brown..
- Add ginger garlic and green chilli paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomato puree and fry for a while.
- Add daniya powder and garam masala powder and fry till the smell comes.
- Add the palak paste, enough salt, enough water and little kasuri methi and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the kofta in the Palak gravy before serving.
- Serve hot with Phulka/Thepla.
- For diabetics and those on diet use microwave oven for making koftas. Do not deep fry.
- Add koftas in the palak gravy before serving. Otherwise the koftas will get soggy.