In addition to the Diet Chart I have published in my blog, I have some tips for the diabetics to help them control their sugar levels.
So here are the tips:
- Eat breakfast around 8:30 am
- Do not overeat during breakfast. For example do not have more than 3 Wheat Rava Idlis or more than 2 Sprouted Green Gram Dosa
- Drink buttermilk or any diabetic friendly juice around 11 am
- Eat lunch around 1pm
- Dinner should be light. Try having soup or porridge with diabetic friendly fruits or 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- Oily food items or fried stuff can be taken once a month
- Try having half of fruits like pappaya, apple, pear, guava and check your sugar level after 2 1/2 hours of eating the fruit. If these fruits suit you, one fruit can be taken every alternate day
- Finish your dinner before 7 30 pm
- Black tea with lemon or green tea does not raise your blood sugar level
- Regular drinking of bitter gourd juice daily on empty stomach helps in controlling the blood sugar level in course of time
- Adding fenugreek seeds in the diabetic friendly dishes is good as it contains high fiber
- Use very minimum ordinary cooking oil and add 1 to 11/2 teaspoon Olive Oil to the dishes as frequently as possible
- To control your sugar level without any medication, avoid rice and wheat totally and include sprouts and vegetables in your diet
- Walk briskly for 1 hour
- Have dishes like Sprouted Green Gram Vada, Sprouted Green Gram and Palak Kadi once a month
- Do not skip breakfast, lunch or dinner
My husband who is a chronic diabetic was dependent on insulin and was under medication for 15 years. Our family friend who is a doctor suggested he stops rice and wheat and eat only sprouts and vegetables. He has stopped insulin and has reduced the dosage of tablets and has been following my Diet Chart and all the tips I have given here. He has been able to successfully control his sugar levels and maintain it well within the bench marked level by just being on a healthy diet.
Hope you find the Diet Chart and tips useful too.
Please send me your queries, suggestions or comments.