Thepla is a kind of roti which Gujaratis make out of wheat flour and methi leaves. It is very easy to cook and nice to eat. People usually carry thepla when they travel because this is one dish that doesn’t get spoilt even when you keep it for 3 days outside.
Here is the recipe for you:
- One cup of whole wheat atta
- One tsp turmeric powder
- One tsp red chilli powder
- One tsp daniya powder
- One tsp Jeera powder
- One tsp salt
- One table spoon gram flour
- Two table spoon Kasuri methi
- Enough butter milk for kneading
Note: For information on measurement, click here.
Method for Making the Dough
- Soak Kasuri methi in butter milk and leave it for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix atta, gram flour, all the masala powders, salt and buttermilk with kasuri methi.
- Knead well till it becomes a soft pliable dough.
- Let it remain for 1 hour.
- Take a lemon sized portion of the dough and roll them with a rolling pin into a round shape.
- Heat a tawa and place the thepla on it.
- Pour some oil over it and cook on both the sides till it turns golden brown.
- Serve hot with pickle and curd.
Note: Instead of Kasuri methi, fresh methi leaves can be used for making Thepla.