- 1 cup of wheat rava
- 4 teaspoons of yellow moong dal
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of urad dal (black gram dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon of channa dal (bengal gram dal)
- 3 nos red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of hing (asafoetida)
- Few curry leaves
- Few coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 small cup of mixed vegetable (carrot, beans, peas, turnip)
- 1 onion(cut into small pieces)
- 1 teaspoon of cooking oil
- Salt for taste
- Fry wheat rava and yellow moong dal in a pan for 2 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in a pan, add mustard, urad dal, channa dal and red chillis. Let the mustard splutter.
- Add hing and curry leaves.
- Add cut onion and other mixed vegetables and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water and enough salt and boil it.
- Add wheat rava and stir it continuously.
- Transfer the mixture from the frying pan to a bowl.
- Pressure cook the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with any chutney and sambar.
Some Quick Tips
For Rava kichidi, do not put the contents directly in the cooker. Just as you make rice, add some water in the cooker and remove the contents from the frying pan and transfer it in a vessel and place it in the cooker. Allow a whistle to come and sim it for 10 minutes.